Traditionally the accommodation as hotels, hostels, pensions … To this format was added that of rural tourism many years ago. And in recent times the possibility of booking rented rooms in an already inhabited house has also become fashionable.
But whatever our option, there is a topic that worries almost above all others: the existence of some plague that will make our holidays bitter, as are more and more bed bugs, which have resurfaced from their ashes due to globalization, and especially in the last type of accommodation we mentioned.
First, and go ahead, the appearance of bedbugs does not imply that there are bad hygienic conditions, although the establishments where people are staying must have a pest detection and elimination policy. And having said that, it is necessary to emphasize that due mainly to the immediacy of transport, the high frequency of travel and the variety of places from which they occur, it is easy for parasites to travel in suitcases or merchandise. You may even bring yourself the bedbugs you suspect in your suitcase.
Among the sites that are most likely to suffer from insect problems are hotels, hostels and pensions, student or nursing homes, hospitals, public transportation, schools, restaurants or the food industry. And for these cases in Rentokil Initial, we have great solutions such as Entotherm Treatment.
We have already told you on other occasions how to avoid bed bugs, how they behave, or the types that exist, but today we want to tell you how to detect them or, hopefully, how to know that they are not in the place we have chosen to sleep.
Aware of its propagation during the holiday season, we bring you 5 signs by which you can check the existence of bedbugs:
- Dark spots/black. Coming from bed bug droppings, you may find small black or dark spots on the mattress or sheets.
- Sweet smell. In an area with the presence of bed bugs, you could detect an unpleasant sweet smell that can tell you where these self-invited guests hide.
- Bloodstains. Derived from dark or black spots, you could identify small spots of blood on coat clothes or on your own clothes.
- Insects are alive. The clearest sign of his presence is to meet a specimen of the species. A bed bug is only 4 or 5 millimeters long (in the case of adult insects), being able to measure 7 millimeters if it has just been fed, so it is difficult to see it with the naked eye. Even so, you may encounter live bed bugs.
- Dry skins. If it is difficult to see specimens of live bedbugs, it is more difficult to find small traces of skins of the insect molts, but there is a possibility that you will find them.
Finally, and for you to focus the search for these signs in the places most likely to find them, we tell you the holes where you can locate them:
- In the seams of the mattresses.
- On carpets, both above and below.
- On the bed frames and headboard joints.
- Among the woods of the soil.
- In the baseboards and skirting boards.
- In the cracks or gaps of walls or in the joints of the wallpaper.
- In plugs and electrical appliances.
- On bedside tables and cupboards
- In the closets.
- Behind the furniture
- In the stand where you leave the suitcase