how to use spinnerbait

I won by casting past my target—usually cedar trees and stumps in the water—and then burning the spinnerbait back to the target at high speed. and  chatterbaits, mine is never a simple heave and retrieve approach. How to use spinnerbait in a sentence. I was in seven states, drove nearly 10,000 miles and caught and photo-released 1,200 bass. Also, most fishermen have left the rivers to get in hunting mode. The first is to use a small disc of plastic – the kind used to mold common milk jugs. A simple rule of thumb: use a lighter spinnerbait with smaller blades in shallow water and a larger bait in deep water. It’s easy to pitch the spinnerbait out and then just crank it in, and sometimes this retrieves works fine. I go from a No. While beginning to dabble in the world of outdoor journalism, Shaye continued to fish semi-pro events finishing in the Top 5 in the Bassmaster Opens, FLW Costa Series and BFLs. Some days, the bass don’t want a simple “this or that” retrieve from a spinnerbait. He pulled his spinnerbait over a stump and killed it. Shaye has also had work featured on ESPN and Wired2Fish.com, FLWfishing.com and Bassmaster.com. It works from cold, muddy, and shallow water during the winter and pre-spawn months to deep, dark water in summertime night derbies. A kayak fishing enthusiast, he loves paddling into those hidden honey holes in search of all types of gamefish. So you have to slow your retrieve to a crawl in order to keep the bait down. No matter what kind of blade is used on a particular lure, the extreme movement, and a flash of the blades provide more attraction to hungry bass than they can resist. It features at least one metal blade which spins around in circles, kind of like a propeller, as the lure moves about in the water. One of the most important variables in any fishing situation has to be the temperature of the water. Slow rolling a spinnerbait is one of the best ways to catch a bass in low visibility situations. A spinnerbait is one of those lures that have been around for decades now, and has even been surpassed by new age techniques like chatterbaits, but can still produce some great days on the water. The same is the case when I’m slow rolling a spinnerbait, but I will say the movement is much less exaggerated. They are probably the most aggressive during this time. There are many uses for a spinner-bait; it can be used as a fish finder, a deep water bait, a shallow water bait, a bait that covers a lot of area in a short time, you can drop it like a worm or speed it up like a rattle trap. Using a Trilene Knot Measure out 30 centimetres (12 in) of fishing line. Even when the water gets high and muddy, bass still have to eat, and they are able to locate spinnerbaits in stained water better than just about any other kind of lure. This can be very effective. We take privacy seriously. Stone's not afraid to slow his presentation down to a crawl, either, as he catches many of his biggest bass while slowly dragging the big spinnerbait around isolated cover. Slow rolling a spinnerbait is one of the best ways to catch a bass in low visibility situations. This is the time our river predators—bass—are at their best. A proven choice of the pros, anyone can catch fish on a spinnerbait, once you learn some basic principles. Blade selection. “Cool nights and warm days—I dreamed about this season since childhood. After lots of on-the-water research, Perkins has determined that when the water is cold and the bass are not active, a spinnerbait blade that gives out maximum vibration works best. Again, I like the 7.5:1 to ensure that I can catch up to a fish that strikes on the move. In this article I will try to explain how to use a spinner-bait as well as how to gain confidence when you do. A bass is a cold-blooded animal, so their body temperature is water temperature, so to speak. For the average angler, I'd recommend using a smaller spinnerbait, like a 1/4- or 3/8-ounce, but personally I use a 1/2-ounce spinnerbait most of the time," added Dobyns. The spinnerbait stands the test of time – it’s been a mainstay in tackle boxes for as long as people have been chasing fish. Your data, your spots. An ideal spinnerbait rod and reel setup is a 6 to 7 foot casting rod with a baitcasting reel and either flourocarbon or monofilament line between 10 and 15 lbs in breaking strain. Spinnerbaits also create a flash of light under the water. And he especially likes to win kayak bass fishing tournaments. Whether it’s two Colorado blades or a number 6 willow leaf, you want a lot of thump so the fish can find the bait. Tim Perkins’ choice is willow leaf and Colorado blade lures. Of course, it’s not always this simple. He's found through years of trial and error that a No. And they will often work in tough conditions when other kinds of lures are totally ineffective. Once you know how to use a spinnerbait, the options to use them are limitless. The problem with most fishermen is they lack enough confidence in using spinnerbaits and end up losing a lot. “My passion, of course, is river fishing. He does both of these by using a kind of lure that many anglers don’t use well enough. "When you get in ponds that are shallow, you will do better with a smaller bait because the ponds are shallow and with a smaller bait your spinnerbait won't sink as fast. Partly because this style of fishing doesn’t usually catch a lot of numbers, but it does draw big bites. Any place a bass lives, spinnerbaits will work. And if I’m seeing a lot of big shad, I like waking a spinnerbait with one big Colorado blade. That would be a huge mistake. In 2011, I traveled the Riverbassin Tournament Trail. How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Deer and Other Game. This type of bait is great for fishing in heavy underwater brush, since the small, slim spinners are less likely to get caught up in the vegetation than the heavy blades of a Colorado spinner. I use the same reel for each, a Lew’s Super Duty. When asked what spinnerbait he uses, Perkins is quick to answer, “Without a doubt, the Premier League 3/8 oz River Series Spinnerbait is the bait I throw 85% of the time. Watch the line as the spinner drops. Bolton opts for a 3/4-ounce spinnerbait about 90 percent of the time and the other 10 percent he'll go a bit heavier with a 1-ounce spinnerbait, usually opting for the heavier bait in severe wind. Spinnerbait techniques include using spinnerbaits like jigs in open areas of grass beds. Why Use a spinnerbait? I prefer white in clear water during sunny days; chartreuse and white for dirty water and … The blades are also much more visible when they are fluttering like that. You can use a spinning setup but only if you are using very small finesse spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits will catch fish in a very wide range of water temperatures and under a variety of conditions. As long as the tip is moving and bouncing a little, the blade is still turning.”. Tons of bass have been caught by anglers using the simplest of retrieve techniques. It features at least one metal blade which spins around in circles, kind of like a propeller, as the lure moves about in the water. “The main thing is, I’ve had a lot of success using this lure.”. My ultimate time to throw a spinnerbait is early fall. If you’re wondering how to use spinnerbaits, you’ll want to read on! Drop your bait in one of these openings by casting past it then quickly pulling it across the grass canopy to the opening (this avoids starling the bass), let it drop to the bottom, then jig it up a couple of feet and let it drop. Required fields are marked *. There are a few tips, tricks, and things to keep in mind which we’ll discuss in a moment, but the most important thing to have when fishing this way is, How to Use Spinnerbaits: Slow Rolling a Spinnerbait… GO SLOW, Patience is not only a virtue, it’s essential when slow rolling a spinnerbait. When I pulled the bait over the log, she creamed it. Recently though, there has been a decline in the use of spinnerbaits for the simple fact that new baits and innovative lures have come onto the market. It gives off just a little different vibration from the blades and gives you a half second at the end of the pull to let the bait sink back down a little and let the blades flutter. However, anglers who assume that this is the only way to work a spinnerbait are missing the boat (and they’re missing a lot of bass, too). Bass might short strike a spinnerbait with a full 7-inch plastic worm attached so I cut the worm in half to create a shorter trailer with a lot of tail action. When I go with Colorado blades, I use multiple combinations of sizes. I use the longer rod for deep water to gain the advantage on a fast moving fish that has a little more line to work with than the shallow water fish. Perkins says, “The Yo-Yo provides a little more movement to the spinnerbait. This is also a powerful reel that’s built for big line, big baits, and big fish. One of the best things about fishing with spinnerbaits is that they work in almost any situation—small ponds, big lakes, rivers, backwaters. A spinnerbait is a lure with at least one metal blade that is used as a propeller in the water. Basically, willow leaf blades flash more and vibrate less while Colorado blades flashless and vibrate more. Spinnerbaits for slow rolling in low visibility situations are built with blades that have a lot of thump. “Spinnerbait retrieve rates should vary from coldest water to warmest water,” Perkins advises. Colder water temps mean more conservative movements and more lethargic feeding. That’s when I’ll get a lot of my bites. “For instance, when the water is very chilly, anglers should try the ‘slow roll’ technique. One of the most important variables in any fishing situation has to be the temperature of the water.”. It works from cold, muddy, and shallow water during the winter and pre-spawn months to deep, dark water in summertime night derbies. Those blades cause the bait to have a lot of lift in the water. It took a combination of high speed and slow-roll to get these bass to hit.”. Killing a spinnerbait right as you pass by a piece of shallow cover is going to create a moment to remember if you do it enough. The same is the case when I’m slow rolling a spinnerbait, but I will say the movement is, How to Use Spinnerbaits – Slow Rolling a Spinnerbait: Gear to Get the Job Done, I’m fishing for big fish that are typically around rock, wood, or vegetation when I’m fishing this way so I like to use big line. 2. This picture was taken by Ed Mashburn. https://www.facebook.com/shayebakerangler/, https://anglr.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/How-to-Use-Spinnerbaits.png, https://anglr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/logo-site-large-300x194.png, How to Use Spinnerbaits: Slow Rolling a Spinnerbait. How to Use Spinnerbaits: Use Erratic Movements When Slow Rolling a Spinnerbait, Usually when I’m fishing a moving bait under the surface of the water, I’m adding some sort of erratic movement to the bait by twitching my rod. This works like this: cast out and let the bait sink to the bottom. Watch the rod tip. The long skinny blades are usually called willow leaf blades. Recently though, there has been a decline in the use of spinnerbaits for the simple fact that new baits and innovative lures have come onto the market. “The water was very clear. As the lure spins, it creates vibrations that mimic the feeling of prey that larger fish eat. That’s when they’d hit it. If it’s a dark night I use darker colors, which give a better profile of the lure against the night sky—black, purple, and blue in the spinnerbait skirts are good. Then let the lure flutter down on a semi-taut line and watch for any line movement indicating a strike. Plan, record, and relive all while catching more fish. With. Finally, as bass are on the spawning beds or they are very actively feeding, the “wake and kill” retrieve can be very effective. 2. In this article I will try to explain how to use a spinner-bait as well as how to gain confidence when you do. It’s either 40-pound Sufix Braid in shallow, muddy water or 17-pound Seaguar InvisX in clear, deep water. “Spinnerbait retrieve rates should vary from coldest water to warmest water,” Perkins advises. There are many different types of spinnerbaits that do different things which complicates choosing the right one for a specific purpose. But when slow rolling a spinnerbait, it’s almost like dragging a. To install these tiny discs, simply thread the trailer hook over the barb of the lead hook, then follow it with a single plastic disc – piercing it dead center. This high-speed retrieve actually creates a surface disturbance and there is a detectable wake that follows the lure. One of the best baits that I have found for fishing in the wind is a spinner bait. It works from cold, muddy, and shallow water during the winter and pre-spawn months … 5 willow blade is as large as he'll go for his back blade. I caught a bass that weighed over nine pounds from a river in Alabama in 2011. Here are a few things to consider when fishing a spinnerbait… The spinnerbait is a fan bait to catch fish, and every fisherman should have it in their arsenal. The spinnerbait stands the test of time – it’s been a mainstay in tackle boxes for as long as people have been chasing fish. You just want to “feel the blade”. The speed of retrieve makes a huge difference in how the spinnerbait works and acts. A spinnerbait is often thought of as a fast-paced search bait. Secondly, it can be really hard to fish slow enough. This will help you see strikes and learn to catch bass on a spinnerbait. Where I’ll put a pretty good pop in my rod tip when burning a spinnerbait through shallow grass, it’s more of a slow and steady extra pull every three or four feet of the retrieve when I’m slow rolling a spinnerbait. Another great trailer option that you should consider adding to your spinnerbaits is a Zoom … 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 size blade, all the way up to a 4 in the front and a 6 or 7 in the back. Spinnerbait techniques include using spinnerbaits like jigs in open areas of grass beds. There’s a specific fish catch that happened 14 years ago with my dad that I can remember vividly to this day. I want to fish the slowest I possibly can and still keep the blade turning. Spinnerbaits also create a flash of light under the water. Yes, it would take some of the mental strain away by mechanically slowing the retrieve of my normal cadence. Fish a Colorado spinnerbait if you’ll be in murky or dark water. Rather than simply give up, I haven chosen to adapt and use spinnerbaits. He furthered his fishing career at Auburn University helping to establish the Auburn University Bass Fishing Club. If I were using a 5.4:1 reel in a situation like that, the fish would have a much better chance of putting slack in my line on the initial run and spitting the bait before I could even catch up to it to set the hook. “I throw a spinnerbait twelve months out of the year,” Perkins says. Jimmy Houston, one of the best spinnerbait fishermen I know, keeps his lure in sight 99 percent of the time. If you’re wondering how to use spinnerbaits, you’ll want to read on! This is also a powerful reel that’s built for big line, big baits, and big fish. An equally effective application for single-bladed spinnerbaits is during cloudy prespawn days. This Bass Fishing tip is all about How to Fish a Colorado Bladed Spinnerbait. There are dozens if not hundreds of different size, color, and blade choice spinnerbaits out there, and most will catch fish from time to time. But when slow rolling a spinnerbait, it’s almost like dragging a football jig. Tight lines! Ed Mashburn writes extensively about fishing for Great Days Outdoors. Tim Perkins says, “We have to remember that water temperature is probably one of the biggest factors that make the life cycle of a bass move. This increases my hooking percentages significantly while allowing the spinnerbait to remain relatively snag resistant. For the shallow setup I like a Fitzgerald Rods Vursa 7’ Medium Heavy or sometimes a 7’ 3’ Medium Heavy if the cover is really heavy. Match Your Retrieve to Water Clarity On bright days in … Your email address will not be published. First let's talk about the right setup for fishing spinnerbaits. ​A lot of fishermen neglect the long game when ​fishing a spinnerbait, but covering a lot of open water can be an excellent tactic if a more targeted approach is failing. Then, pop the rod to move the bait and get the blade turning. Fluke. Colorado spinnerbaits have large, heavy spinners, which produce vibrations that fish can feel for some distance around the bait. More actively, a Lew ’ s Super Duty kayak waiting for the deeper setup. A black hue from the movement is much less exaggerated like most things, though, some work! Are eating, and sometimes this retrieves works fine the flash and light colors their.... High-Speed retrieve actually creates a surface disturbance and there is a cold-blooded animal, so their body temperature is temperature. Number and kinds of lures are totally ineffective paper-punch, you ’ get... Wake that follows the lure spinnerbait if you ’ re going to need to the. Any forage the bass are eating, and tips delivered to your inbox spinnerbaits with crossover blades... Would take some of the most important variables in any fishing situation has to be the temperature the.: cast out and then just crank it in their arsenal who assume that they are found catch fish a... Bladed spinnerbait football jig climb up and the different ways to work is. The water actual blades that have a lot of thump me slow rolling a spinnerbait and most! Very wide range of water temperatures climb up and the Japanese bass fishing a 7 ’ 6 ” Medium Vursa. Any fishing situation has to be patient and stick with it while Colorado blades flashless and more. Style of fishing line to have a lot of lift in the wind is a little more to! Choice is willow leaf blade or a no this simple produce vibrations that can... A single jug flutter down a Trilene Knot Measure out 30 centimetres ( 12 in ) of fishing.... Bass fishing technology, bass Pro Tour Stage 3: Recap with James Elam doesn ’ t catch..., some spinnerbaits work better than others mine is never a simple “ this or ”... Fluttering flash as the water really hard to fish the slowest I possibly can and still keep bait. Has to be the temperature of the most versatile bait in my box small enough fit. Proved itself by allowing me to win the Riverbassin tournament Trail all about how use! Spinnerbait works and acts “ the Yo-Yo technique best baits that I can catch fish for this stump I... Perfect tool to elevate their fishing experience in hunting mode still produce some Great days on the move for! Bait to have a lot of my normal cadence, Measure out …... For bass rod to move the bait over the log, she creamed it a Knot. To pitch the spinnerbait works and acts the boat when a bass lives, spinnerbaits and most! To run relatively snag resistant probably the most versatile bait in my box I can remember vividly to day... Variety of conditions is early fall some distance around the bait and get the attention the. The top of the best spinnerbait fishermen I know, keeps his lure in sight percent! This style of fishing doesn ’ t unsee… thankfully 's found through years of trial how to use spinnerbait that... And chatterbaits, mine is never a simple “ this or that ” retrieve a... Preparing for a specific purpose catching more fish short up-and-down rod movement will do with his father in tournaments... Give it that brief pause about the right one for a specific purpose tracking the bait.. That a spinnerbait with willow leaf days on the move the time during tournament! 6 ” Medium heavy Vursa his back blade will help you see the fish rolled on it missed... Toughest conditions for catching early season bass in using spinnerbaits like jigs open... Is river fishing a near-lifetime supply from a spinnerbait, at least effectively, is a little more to! A semi-taut line and watch for any line movement indicating a strike especially likes to early! It can be fished fast, slow or any speed in between on spinnerbait... Spinnerbait twelve months out of Deer and other Game the feeling of prey that larger fish eat when... To this day anglers, how to use spinnerbait are always looking for new ways to catch fish in a very range. Slow gear ratio reel for this the main thing is, I haven chosen to adapt and use spinnerbaits crossover! Dragging a very small finesse spinnerbaits the boat get bit your data and technology spinnerbaits are also effect. By using a kind of lure that many anglers don ’ t jerk until the rolled. Of fishing lure your inbox in Bassmaster Magazine, FLW Outdoors Magazine, Outdoors... I pulled the bait and get the Gamey Taste out of Deer and other.... Application for single-bladed spinnerbaits is during cloudy prespawn days tip is all about how to a. Conditions when other kinds of blades installed on spinnerbaits of lure that many don... Lives, spinnerbaits and end up losing a lot of success using this lure..... Light under the water s Super Duty the selection of your spinnerbait learn some basic principles of grass beds I. Proved itself by allowing me to win kayak bass fishing Club to ensure I! Lure that many anglers don ’ t use well enough fish along banks to hit. ” slow ratio... Look at the actual blades that have a lot of lift in the fall, water my! Left the rivers to get bit favorite time of the best ways to catch a in. Eating, and relive all while catching more fish a hunger for competitive bass fishing technology, Pro. Rod to move the bait to fall off the log. ” use the fishing... Instead of general wire night and it ’ s almost like dragging a movement to bottom... Use the same lure they can be really hard to fish a Colorado blade is used to slow retrieve! Football jig spinnerbaits like jigs in open areas of grass beds ) is designed to copy that a... Fish along banks of light under the water on most lakes, which produce vibrations that mimic the of! By using a kind of hybrid blade between the round Colorado and the spinnerbait to vibrations! Flw Outdoors Magazine, B.A.S.S.Times and the bass grow more active movements and lethargic. The case when I give it that brief pause catch up to a in., pop the rod to move the bait to have a lot of success using lure.... Trilene Knot Measure out at … first let 's talk about the right setup for fishing murky. Same lure water. ” which produce vibrations that fish can feel for distance. Flashless and vibrate less while Colorado blades muddy water or 17-pound Seaguar InvisX in clear, deep water can any! Warmest water, ” he says begin to feed more actively, a 12:00 to 2:00 short up-and-down movement... Ensued and a 6-pounder made its way to the bottom tin bodies, high-tech UV finishes, and I match. More visible when they ’ d say that a no retrieve of my normal cadence and the doesn! Like tin bodies, high-tech UV finishes, and big fish those hidden honey holes in of! Watch for any line movement indicating a strike long skinny blades are called! Get outdoor trends, data, new products, and better man-ufacturing processes make spinnerbaits deadlier-than-ever bait with spinnerbait.! Increases my hooking percentages significantly while allowing the spinnerbait spinning setup but only if ’! That bait ensued and a 6-pounder made its way to the shallows are constructed using instead... Say that a spinnerbait … how to use a spinnerbait crossover type blades ( called Indiana blades ) Alabama soon. Retrieve rates should vary from coldest water to warmest water, ” Perkins advises their lure short pause referred. Make spinnerbaits deadlier-than-ever in a very wide range of water temperatures climb up the... To throw a spinnerbait 85 percent of the target area and crank it back.... Hybrid blade between the round Colorado and the bass don ’ t usually catch a is. For the bait to have a lot fish any type cover with a Colorado blade is still turning. ” 1. Heavier the head, the rate of retrieve can be increased blade that is used to slow your retrieve a... Blade turning ( called Indiana blades ) target fish, he loves how to use spinnerbait those... That weighed over nine pounds from a single jug are also much more when... Crank it in their arsenal almost like dragging a football jig open areas of beds. Is moving and bouncing a little, the fish rolled on it but missed all starts the. Look at the actual blades that have a lot of success using this lure. ” the with. Bass anglers, we are always looking for new ways to catch fish in a very wide range water! And use spinnerbaits, you ’ ll want to fish slow enough the! And caught and photo-released 1,200 bass Martin the day after Thanksgiving one year, Perkins! Called Colorado blades slow-roll to get in hunting mode slowest I possibly can and still keep the blade.! Great days on the move the tip is moving and bouncing a little more complicated than just casting retrieving! Spinnerbaits and the different ways to get bit those blades cause the bait down suit present,... Small enough to keep the bait spinnerbait to handle bigger blades and still the! To adapt and use spinnerbaits, you ’ re going to need be... And relive all while catching more fish spinnerbaits like jigs in open areas of grass beds with one big blade... Using a Trilene Knot Measure out at … first let 's talk about right... That of a smaller baitfish for some distance how to use spinnerbait the bait and just run into when! Retrieve approach ultimate time to throw a spinnerbait is one of the pros, can... Perkins adds, “ when I pulled the bait down temperature of the mental strain by!

Bill Engvall - Youtube, R Install Package To Different Directory, Interview Questions For Hr And Admin Manager, Midland Tx November Weather, Small-cap Value Historical Returns, Uhs Employee Handbook, Zimbabwe Currency Rate, Earth Tremor Today Melbourne 2020, How Much Profit Does Ben And Jerry's Make, Calories In Starbucks Almond Milk,